Social media
Contact information


+91 844 844 9976


+91 9800897000

International Students in Canada

An international student may need a permit to study in Canada. The study permits are only issued to a student after they have been accepted at a Canadian college, university or other accredited educational institution designated. If student is outside Canada then they can apply online or use a paper application in a country where they are lawfully admitted

Before any international student applies for a study permit, they must need:

  • an acceptance letter from a Canadian college, university (Designated Learning Institution - DLI)
  • a valid passport or travel document


You also must:

  • prove that student has sufficient money to pay for their:
    • tuition fees
    • living expenses for themselves and any family members who come with them to Canada and
    • return transportation for themselves and any family members who come with them to Canada
  • The student may have to provide a police certificate from his/her country of residence.
  • be in good health which means student might need to complete a medical exam.
  • convince an immigration officer that student will leave Canada at the end of their studies.

Remember to apply for student permit the student needs to make sure that he/she should start their process as much in advance as possible. If they arrive in Canada without any study permit then they may not be allowed to enter the country. It is always recommendable to consult the Immigration Canada website, in case there are any changes to the law or any other things student have to consider before entering Canada.


Once the permit is approved by Canada Immigration then the student should arrange their post departure tasks such as accommodation, airport picks up, college enrollment, etc. Once they arrive at the college or university, they need to become in touch with the international student’s office.

International Office will have a treasure of information about the university, tuition payments, legal and immigration issues, and designated people who will help you if you have any problems while attending the college or university. The best way to know most of your classmates you must attend the orientation which includes workshops, tours, trips around the town and guidance on how to survive your first few weeks in Canada. This is a prodigious way to make friends and to meet people from all over the world who are in the same situation as you.

If there is an international students’ association, then it will be a great idea to join it! They help international students to settle into life in Canada, such as clubs, buddy programs and coffee socials.

In the first couple of weeks, the student may begin to feel homesick. This is normal, and most international students feel this at some time in their university career. There are numerous ways to combat this, such as become active in university events, call home, explore your new area, get a job work as a volunteer. Follow these steps and use the experience effectively -­ and you will always have a little of Canada wherever you go in the world.


Work and study in Canada

An international student can gain valuable work experience and supplement their spending allowance with a student job. While the student must supply adequate proof that he/she can pay for their tuition and living expenses before they arrive in Canada, there are a large number of job openings for them to work while you study in Canada. Student is allowed to work 20 hours per week.

Jobs for international students in Canada

Working off-campus

The Off-Campus Work Permit Program authorizes international students to work up to 20 hours per week during their academic sessions, and full time during scheduled breaks (for example, winter and summer holidays, and spring break).


          Student may work off-campus without a work permit if you:

  • have a valid study permit
  • are a full-time student at a designated learning institution
  • have started studying
  • are in a program that leads to a degree, diploma or certificate and is at least six months long and
  • have a Social Insurance Number (SIN)


International students whose intended employment is an essential part of their program then it’s called Co-op or Internship Work Permit Program and it has to be certified by their Canadian academic institution.

On-campus work opportunities

International students who hold valid study permits and who are studying full time at eligible Canadian public and private universities or colleges may also be eligible to work on-campus at the institution where they study without a work permit.

They may work without a work permit on their college or university campus if they:

  • are a full-time post-secondary student at:
    • a public post-secondary school, such as a college or university, or CEGEP in Quebec
    • a private college-level school in Quebec that operates under the same rules as public schools, and is at least 50% funded by government grants, or
    • a Canadian private school that can legally award degrees under provincial law
  • have a valid study permit and
  • have a Social Insurance Number (SIN).

You essential to stop working on campus on the day student are no longer studying full time or when their study permit expires.

There are many options available to student once they have completed their studies in Canada. They may choose to:

  • Return to their home country prepared with a globally recognized degree or diploma and precious international work experience.
  • Continue their studies in Canada for advanced credentials.
  • Gain additional work experience in Canada.

Stay in Canada after graduation

To gain valuable work experience in Canada after graduation can go a long way towards helping them permanently immigrate in Canada. The following programs can help them to process further:

Post-graduation work permit

Students who have graduated from an eligible Canadian post-secondary institution then they are eligible to apply for the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program (PGWPP) to gain Canadian work experience. They can get work permit from 8 months – 3 years.

Express Entry

Express Entry is the first step for most people who wish to immigrate to Canada permanently as a skilled worker. After you have studied and worked in Canada, complete an online profile to see if you have the education, skills, work experience and language ability to be accepted into the pool of candidates. The top candidates are invited to apply for permanent residence.

To know more about Express Entry please log on to Refugees and Citizenship Canada’s website.


Provincial Nominee Program

Almost all of Canada’s provinces and territories can nominate people to immigrate to Canada. Those people have the skills, education and work experience they need to contribute to the economy of that province or territory.

To know more about the Provincial Nominee Program please log on to Refugees and Citizenship Canada’s website.


Share this post :

Related Articles

Twitter Feed